This is my mom’s recipe and it remains one of my favorites. It’s a light dish that’s great for summer or those unexpectedly warm fall days. The ingredients are flexible: I leave out the olives and my mom substitues 1 cup of steamed broccoli for the zucchini, so mix and match with alternate veggies as you prefer. To make it a little healthier, use whole wheat spaghetti.
The original recipe had feta in it. I have replaced that with a link to a vegan feta recipe, which I have not tried. These days, I usually just add a bit of sea salt to help get the saltiness that the feta added to the dish.
for the salad…
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup black olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (or 1 1/2 tbsp dried)
- 8 oz. spaghetti or fettuccine, cooked, drained
- 1 cup crumbled tofu feta (4 oz.) or sea salt, to taste
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
for the dressing…
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 3 tbsp. white wine
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Dash Tobasco sauce
Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the dressing, drizzle over salad, and toss. Chill for an hour.