I haven’t commented here yet on Hurricane Katrina and the many, many animals that had to be left behind during the evacuations. I think it’s partially because I can’t look at the pictures or read the stories and still get it together enough to form a coherent thought about the whole thing.
Also, please read some thoughts from other bloggers who verbalize what I’m thinking better than I can at the moment:
- Almost Vegan: No Food Today
- An Animal-Friendly Life: Hurricane Katrina and the Animals
- Herbivore: The Other Victims of Katrina
- Vegan Chai: Katrina’s Snowballs
- Vegan.com: Erik’s Diner: September 1, 2005 (podcast)
I also want to remind you not to forget your local charities. Non-relief charities were hit particularly hard after September 11th and the tsunami as most of people’s charitable giving was directed at relief efforts. I suspect the same will hold true with this disaster.