One of my favorite cookbook authors and long-time friend of the Veg Blog, Nava Atlas has just released her newest collection of recipes titled Vegan Express. While I admit to being a little skeptical of another “quick vegan meals”-type book, I knew that Nava has experience in that realm with The 5-Ingredient Vegetarian Gourmet. Plus, her Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons is still one of my favorite cookbooks.
I’ve only had the book for a week, and I’ve gotta say, Vegan Express may unseat Vegetarian Soups… as my favorite Nava cookbook. We’ve made a few recipes with good luck, including Broccoli Salad with Yellow Peppers, Pine Nuts, and Cranberries (see below) with a simple homemade Sesame-Ginger dressing and just tonight we had a hearty pink bean, quinoa, and spinach soup. I’m looking forward to trying the Berry-Apple Skillet Crumble and the Very Green Veggie Pesto Pizza.
Another thing I enjoy about this cookbook: Nava has put together a list of her favorite recipes, two from each chapter. That helps those have trouble deciding where to start when getting a new cookbook.
Nava has given permission to share a recipe from the book, so here’s one we had a week or so ago that I really enjoyed:
Broccoli Salad with Yellow Peppers, Pine Nuts, and Cranberries
- 2 large broccoli crowns, cut into bite-size florets (about 4 heaping cups)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted in a dry skillet
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup Sesame-Ginger Salad Dressing (elsewhere in the book) or equivalent store-bought dressing
- Steam the broccoli florets just until bright green. Drain and rinse under cool water until room temperature or slightly warm.
- Combine the broccoli and the remaining ingredients in a serving bowl, toss well, and serve.
Calories: 170, total fat: 11g, protein: 5g, carbohydrates: 15g, fiber: 4g, sodium: 55g.
I’ll be doing a more thorough review once we’ve tried a few more recipes, but for now, go make that salad!