- 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c. quick cooking or rolled oats
- 1/2 c. vegan stick margarine
- Ener-G Egg Replacer equiv. to one egg
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 lb. rhubarb, chopped into 1/2 pieces
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced into halves or quarters, depending on size
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- Preheat oven to 400.
- For topping, Mix flour, sugar and oats together in a medium bowl and then cut in margarine with two forks or a pastry blender until crumbly. Set aside. (You may have more topping than you need.)
- Put egg replacer into large bowl. Add sugar, flour, and vanilla extract and mix together well.
- Stir the rhubarb and strawberries with the sugar/flour mixture until the sugar has dissolved (about 1 min.).
- Pour this immediately into the unbaked pie crust and sprinkle the top with crumb topping. It is very important to get the pie in the over right away once you mix the fruit with the sugar; if you let it sit at all, it will produce too much juice and be too runny.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce to 350 and cook another 50 minutes or until the filling has puffed up evenly.
- Cool pie, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
Source: Terry Cummings at Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary