This is an unbelievably easy way to whip up some vegan french toast. It’s not messy and is quite tasty. It’s made healthier than traditional french toast by using nutritional yeast and whole wheat bread while skipping the eggs.
Makes 6-8 slices.
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 Tbsps unbleached flour
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch cinnamon
- 6-8 slices whole wheat or sprouted bread
- Place soy milk, flour, nutritional yeast flakes, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon in mixing bowl and beat with whisk.
- Mist a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray, or coat with a thin layer of canola oil. Place skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dip bread slices, one at a time, into the batter, making sure that both sides are covered. When skillet is hot, add the dipped bread.
- When the bottoms of the bread slices are well browned, carefully turn each slice over using a spatula. Cook the other side until it is a deep golden brown.
- Serve hot with melted non-hydrogenated margarine (like Earth Balance), maple syrup, powdered sugar, and/or a little sprinkling of additional cinnamon.
Adapted from Fox 2 Detroit