This recipe is a vegan-adapted version of Alice Waters Simple Tomato Salad. It’s a great summer side dish that’s very easy to make.
Yields 4 servings.
- 1 pound ripe juicy tomatoes
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
- handful fresh basil leaves, torn in half
- garlic croutons or torn pieces of crusty bread, toasted or not (optional)
- Wash and core tomatoes. Cut into thick slices.
- Peel the garlic. In the serving bowl, rub the garlic using the tips of a fork, to make a puree, then add the vinegar and oil.
- Add the tomatoes, tossing gently to coat with dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Scatter top of salad with the torn basil leaves.
- Add croutons or pieces of bread, if using, to soak up the delicious juices.
Adapted from Alice Waters Simple Tomato Salad