This bright and colorful dish will please the palate of pepper lovers. Served over rice with faux meat strips, it can be a satisfying meal in its own right. It would also work well as a side dish.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 13-15 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 1 small-medium of each: orange, red, yellow, and green bell peppers, seeded and cut into thin slices
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped into large pieces
- 1/4 head cabbage, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy or tamari sauce
- Basil, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 or 4 scrapes of lemon zest
- 1/4 lemon
- 1 package of faux-meat strips (Smart Strips) (optional)
* Have preferred rice prepared beforehand.
- Heat the oil for a few moments, then add the onions and garlic. Allow them to sautee on medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add the cabbage, stir, and allow to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the carrots, peppers, basil, salt, and ground pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If using faux meat strips, cook according to package (allow about six minutes preparation).
- Add lemon zest and tomatoes. If desired, add another splash of soy/tamari sauce. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- If using faux meat, squeeze lemon juice on strips, then add to the vegetable mixture.
- Serve hot over rice. Spoon juices over rice for some extra flavor.
The colorful peppers
The food cooks
The final product